Monday, February 5, 2018

Audiobook Review: The Charmer by Avery Flynn

Series:       Harbor City #2
Pub. Date:Nov. 31, 2017
Publisher:Entangled
Tantor Audio
Narrator:Tatiana Sokolov
Length:282 pages
7hrs 35min
Source:NetGalley / Hoopla

This is my first time reading Avery Flynn, and I have to apologize for this review being way late. This is one of the books that fell through the cracks when I was moving across country, so I've pulled it from my blogger shame list with one of my new year's goals to get caught up.

I haven't read the first book in the series yet, and I didn't feel like I was lost or missing information. So if you are reading these out of order, you should be fine.

Hudson Carlyle is our wealthy and artistic hero, and younger brother to Sawyer (hero in The Negotiator). Hudson is a fun-loving and smooth-talking flirt, who hasn't met a woman whom he can't charm. Well, that was the case until he met our confidently nerdy heroine, Felicia Hartigan. When Felicia doesn't fall for his alluring wit, Hudson devises a scheme disguised as an experiment to make Felicia redirect her interest his way. I really liked Hudson. He was a lot of fun and a little dirty, and definitely got things steamy when it counted.

Felicia was an utterly unique heroine. She is an ant researcher! Yes, ANTS. Specifically, the Honeypot Ant. Assuming all the ant facts are true, I learned way more about ants in this book that I ever expected to learn from a romance. While Felicia is a self-professed nerdy girl... she totally owns her intelligence and awkwardness. She wasn't really trying to change for anyone and she seemed comfortable in her skin. She was shy and did have trouble approaching her crush, but she didn't have any problem sassing our hero. It was great.

The romance between Hudson and Felicia was full of hi-jinx and fun. Hudson's flirty banter kept the story moving and Felicia's awkwardness provided some comic relief. For such a funny story, I was somewhat surprised by the level of steam we got... as these two were explosive once clothes started coming off.

Now that I have read this book, I hope to go back and listen to the first one in audio soon. I really like this narrator, Tatiana Sokolov. She brought the story to life, adding levity and keeping my attention throughout.

I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Entangled. However, I also switched between print and audio with a copy of the book I checked out from the library via the Hoopla app. 

Purchase Links


Harbor City


No comments:

Post a Comment