Wednesday, January 24, 2018

ARC Review: Surrender to the Highlander by Lynsay Sands

Series:     Highlanders #5
Pub Date:Jan 30, 2018
Publisher:Avon
Length:384 pgs
Source:Edelweiss

Whenever I see a new Lynsay Sands historical, I get grabby hands! I know every book is going to be a quick fun read that has me laughing out loud, and Surrender to the Highlander was no exception. While you can probably read these books as standalones, I think you will have much more fun with the series if you start at the beginning, with An English Bride in Scotland

I am totally head over heels in love with the Buchanan family. While I think my favorite is the broody and scarred Aulay, I can't deny that I would love to hang out with the fun-loving Buchanan brood who tease and taunt each other at every turn. Our hero in this installment is Neils Buchanan, the third son in the family line-up. Saidh Buchanan, the sole sister who is currently large with child, persuades the boys to go check on her friend who had been ill and stopped responded to messages. The boys reluctantly make their way to Drummond keep and quickly discover that someone wishes the Drummonds harm and has been doing a speedy job of dispatching of the family. Neils was a great hero. He was a large lusty lad who was protective over our heroine and determined to discover who meant her harm. Neils wasn't as humorous as some of the brothers, but his reaction to humorous situations was endearing and made me love him all the more.

Edith Drummond has lost most of her family and has been hanging on to her own life by a thread. When the Buchanan brothers show up on her door and discover that she has been poisoned, Edith must come to terms with the idea that her family was murdered and someone is actively trying to kill her. But with the big brawny Highlander dogging her tail, Edith has a hard time focusing on the danger when she is distracted by steamy kisses and erm... other things. Surprisingly, Edith had me laughing out loud more than the Buchanans. I had tears coming out of my eyes on Edith's wedding night and her implementation of the advice she had gotten from a maid. I still crack up just thinking about it. Edith was a good heroine, somewhat careless with her safety, but she was likable and fun and a good match for Neils.

Given Edith's poisoning and illness, this romance was not instalove. There was definitely instant attraction on both sides, but the romance unfolded at a nice pace along with the rest of the story. Both danger and humorous obstacles were thrown in Neils and Edith's path, and they handled everything with aplomb. I enjoyed seeing both the buildup and some of their life following the marriage, and I was glad that the some of the Buchanan brothers had a heavy presence in the story. 

Surrender to the Highlander was a perfect blend of romance, mystery, suspense and humor. I will be waiting for the next installment on pins and needles.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Avon. 

Purchase Links


Highlanders


No comments:

Post a Comment