Monday, October 2, 2017

ARC Review: The Hunt by Chloe Neill

Series:     Devil's Isle #3
Pub. Date:Sept. 26, 2017
Publisher:Berkley
Length:336 pages
Source:NetGalley

Warning! This review may have spoilers for the earlier books in the series. If you have not read the earlier books... go do that, like, right now!

In this third installment of the Devil's Isle series, we are fresh off the failed attempt to open the veil between New Orleans and the Beyond, and secrets are out for our main characters, Claire Connolly and Liam Quinn. Claire had to use magic during the battle, and Liam got hit with magic... so both of them will have to avoid being rounded up by Containment and being stuck in Devil's Isle. It's quite easy for Liam, who has left New Orleans, and Claire, to deal with the magical consequences. 

I was totally sympathizing with Claire in this installment. She is feeling rejected, sad and frustrated by Liam's defection, and given her past, I can totally understand why. Claire doesn't have the best track record for people in her life sticking around, willingly or not. But although Claire is having relationship (or lack thereof) issues, she doesn't let that stop her from working to help the oppressed and confined paranormals in Devil's Isle. You have to admire her for that. I feel like Claire's character has continued to grow over the series as she has learned more about paranormals, herself and her family. She certainly is not afraid to get her hands dirty or to charge in and get the job done. So she is a headstrong heroine that speaks to all my kickass female tendencies, but also has that little bit of vulnerability when it comes to her relationship and family issues.

I have been a fan of Liam Quinn from the start, but I have to say that I was disappointed in him leaving Claire to handle New Orleans on her own. Liam has retreated to the bayou with his grandmother as a magical casualty, and I wish that would have been expounded upon a bit more. I would love to have Liam's POV thrown in here and there to let us know what he is thinking and how he feels about our heroine.

I really really love Malachi and Moses as secondary characters, and I would totally enjoy a spinoff story about Malachi, his past, and his romantic potential.  Now that our crew of magical misfits (with a couple normals thrown in) was successful in keeping the veil closed, they have to deal with the next conspiracy. Paranormals are getting sick and dying, and Claire is taking the lead (with some assistance) to find out why. What she finds will hit closer to home that Claire expects, and will throw a wrench into the past she thought she knew. I enjoyed the mystery and suspense aspect of the plot, and the pace moved along at a steady clip that kept me riveted during an early morning flight this week. I found myself not wanting to finish the story and hoping it would drag out longer, so it felt like the ending was a bit rushed. But man, I didn't foresee that outcome and I am super impatient for the next installment of the series.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Berkley. 

Devil's Isle

My ReviewMy Review

No comments:

Post a Comment