Tuesday, November 14, 2017

ARC Review: Once Upon a Maiden Lane by Elizabeth Hoyt

Series:     Maiden Lane #12.5
Pub. Date:Nov. 14, 2017
Publisher:Forever Romance
Length:100 pages
Source:NetGalley

I feel somewhat grateful that I am behind on this series, because I know that I have more goodness to look forward to. Because I am really sad that this one is ending. I have enjoyed all of the books I have read thus far, and Once Upon a Maiden Lane is no exception.

Our heroine is Mary Whitsun, whom we met as a ward of the orphanage in one of the earlier books. She is now a grown woman and living in the home of Lady Caire as a nursemaid. Things seem to be going well for Mary, despite being relegated to the serving class. She has a good home and a good position, though she must scrimp and save to purchase one of her beloved books. She has a distrust for aristocratic men, and I'm not sure what that stemmed from. Perhaps its in one of the books that I haven't read. I liked that she had wit and personality, and wasn't afraid to show it to Henry from the get go. 

I just loved this hero - Henry, Lord Blackwell. As the son of an earl, the viscount is determined to do his duty and marry Lady Joanna, despite having more brotherly feelings than romantic interest. But when he finds a woman that looks remarkably like Joanna, he doesn't have any brotherly interest in her. Indeed, quite the opposite. Henry is drawn to her fire and wit, and loves the fact that she doesn't just fall at his feet like the rest of the single ladies of the ton.

I was surprised at the amount of goodness that was packed into such a short novella. Not only did we have some good banter and relationship building, but there was also a bit of mystery and drama thrown in as well. I am looking forward to the Christmas novella coming out last month, but will be sad that it's the last book in the series.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Forever Romance.


Purchase Links


Maiden Lane Series


No comments:

Post a Comment