Monday, November 13, 2017

ARC Review: Nauti Angel by Lora Leigh

Series:     Nauti #9
Pub. Date:   Nov. 7, 2017
Publisher:Berkley
Length:349 pages
Source:NetGalley



I was a big fan of the early Nauti books, but it has been a long time since I read them. I thought I would try to jump back into the series with the latest installment, Nauti Angel, and I ended up having a hard time with it. I couldn't remember quite what happened in those earlier books, and I have obviously missed what has been happening with the Mackays over the last few books of this spinoff series. 

Our heroine is a rough and tumble kickass mercenary chick, at only 23 years old. She has been taught to fight and survive since she was 3 years old, and she can allegedly remember everything back to her first birthday and first steps. While I like a good kickass heroine, that memory thing was a bit of a stretch for me. Nevertheless, Angel (f/k/a Beth) was a good heroine. She was tough, but caring. Capable and sure of her self, but that surety often came across in humorous ways. She also had a lot of vulnerability from her past that she tried to hide and stuff down so no one would see it. So overall I found her to be relatable and engaging, and I was glad our hero was around to break down her walls.

The hero of this installment is Duke Mackay, a younger cousin of my favorite Mackay trouble makers, Natches, Rowdy and Dog. Duke has been on Angel's tail for a long time, at least five years. Unfortunately, this is part of the back story that I think I missed from skipping a few books in this spinoff series. But Duke knows all of Angel's secrets and fears, and I really liked that he did not exploit them or break her trust. He was good at annoying her, but that came from a place of love rather than as someone trying to manage her against her will. He was really good at getting under her skin and breaking down those barriers to reach Angel's emotional side that she tries to hide beneath some very tough skin. And being a Mackay, Duke obviously had mad skills beneath the sheets, and he definitely used those to his advantage when needed.

While this book is predominately erotic romance, there is also a subplot of suspense as well. Chaya's younger daughter, Bliss, and consequently, Angel, were being targeted by unknown assailants. I found myself more interested in the suspense plot, and I wished there was more of it. Much of the action was either over quickly, or happened off page, which left me feeling unsatisfied.  So while I like sexytime as much as the next dirty bird, I was really starved for more plot and action in this story.

I recommend this book to fans of Lora Leigh and erotic romance, or for anyone who is just looking to steam up their kindle screen.  I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Berkley.

Purchase Links



Nauti Series


No comments:

Post a Comment