Friday, March 10, 2017

BookShots Mini Review: Bedding the Highlander by Sabrina York

Pub. Date:March 7, 2017
Publisher:BookShots
Length:160 pages
Source:NetGalley

This is the first time I have tried any of the BookShots novellas, and I can definitely see their value when you want something super quick that you can finish over a lunch break or waiting on an oil change, etc. Bookshots are essentially novellas of every sort (around 150 pages), and the Flames imprint focuses on romance stories, both contemporary and historical. I like this idea, and I think I will check out more of them in the future, although I wish that they were available on Kindle Unlimited.

I love Sabrina York's Untamed Highlanders series, so I thought her novella would be a good place to start. This story falls in the arranged marriage trope, with some deception and mistaken identity thrown in.

It's 17th Century Scotland, and the Duke of Glencoe has ordered the marriage between members of feuding clans in the Highlands. So Kirk Rannoch has ridden into his enemy's keep to fetch his brother's intended bride... only to find that she has absconded. Leaving empty-handed, he knew that we they encountered two lasses within a day of the Killin keep, that one was likely the runaway bride. But which one? Katherine Killin is determined not to be ruled by any man, particularly her intended husband, the Beast of Rannoch. But when she runs into the beast on her attempted escape from Killin, her hopes are dashed and the subterfuge begins.

Katherine and Kirk battle for most of their journey, but Kirk loves her fire and Katherine is undeniably drawn to the handsome Highlander. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get on with our heroine. She got on my nerves for some reason... and I think much of it had to do with her deception. I'm not a big fan of deception in my romances. I tried to understand where she was coming from with her chauvinistic and abusive family, but I hated that she didn't trust Kirk and the Rannoch men more when they obviously were nothing like the Killin clan. Otherwise, the banter was fun and I really liked the hero.

I recommend this book for those fans of historical and Highland romance who are looking for a quickie read to kill some time. I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book that I received from the publisher.


No comments:

Post a Comment