Saturday, October 3, 2015

Series Saturday Audiobook Review: Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh



Heart of Obsidian 
by Nalini Singh
Series:  Psy-Changeling #12
Pub. Date:  June 4, 2013
Publisher:  Tantor Audio
Narrator:  Angela Dawe
Length:  13 hrs 8 min
Format:  Audiobook
Source:  Hoopla / Library


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Step into New York Times bestseller Nalini Singh’s explosive and shockingly passionate Psy-Changeling world…

A dangerous, volatile rebel, hands stained bloodred.
A woman whose very existence has been erased.
A love story so dark, it may shatter the world itself.
A deadly price that must be paid.

The day of reckoning is here.
This is one of those books that I really wish I would have read instead of listening to the audio. Not that the narrator did a bad job, she does a fine job. The problem is that the book is read in somewhat of a monotone to coincide with the Psy's silence... if they don't feel/show emotion, they are going to have a monotonous countenance. So the narrator did a good job in that regard. Unfortunately for me when listening this time, it was easier for my mind to wander so I had to rewind quite a bit and it took me a lot longer to finish. Everyone is telling me this is the best one in the series, so I am a little disappointed. I may have to go back and re-read it when I have time.

This installment is the story of Kaleb Krycheck, the most powerful Psy in the net. Everyone has long thought Kaleb the most silent and dangerous Psy... and they have always questioned his plan and motivations. Is he the Ghost or is he behind Pure Psy? Is he as much a monster as his mentor, Enrique Cendano, was? (Forgive any name misspellings... I have to guess since I was listening to this installment.) It does take more to warm up to Kaleb because he is *very* silent... but I liked him quite a bit anyway. You saw little snippets of his personality and emotion in the gifts he gave Sahara, how he took care of her and how protective he was.

Sahara was a great match for Kaleb. I loved learning the history they had, and it was great to see her heal from the ordeal that she went through. Unfortunately I can't say much about her without giving spoilers, so you will just have to read for yourself and see. I will say that she is *not* silent so she was pretty much the complete opposite of Kaleb. She had a great personality, and some interesting power of her own.

As always, Nalini Singh gives us a good bit of steam in her books. Here we got a little humor with our steam in that Kaleb literally makes the earth move. I found all the environmental changes when Kaleb loses control to be a funny little counterpoint to his stoicism.

Things with Pure Psy come to a head in this book, and we got to see some of our favorite Changelings pair up with the Psy to fight back. Vaughn was a prevalent secondary character in this installment and it made me want to go back and read his book. I love all the Changelings - I think I prefer their characters to the Psy. Something about their animal magnetism. Yum.

View all my reviews

Psy-Changeling Series


No comments:

Post a Comment