Sunday, August 16, 2015

Audiobook Review: The Edge of Courage by Elaine Levine

The Edge of Courage 
by Elaine Levine
Series:  Red Team #1
Pub. Date:  Apr. 8, 2014
Publisher:  Self-Pub
Narrator:  Eric Dove
Length:  9hrs 15min
Format:  Audiobook
Source:  Purchased
   

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Step into Elaine Levine's exciting new series of alpha warriors--products of the government's secret corps of assassins called the Red Team: 


Haunted by memories he cannot reach, stalked by an enemy bent on revenge . . . 

Rocco Silas has come home to Wyoming after long years as a Red Team operative in Afghanistan. It isn't easy returning to civilian life, especially burdened as he is with a staggering case of PTSD or hunted as he is by an enemy determined to seek an eye-for-eye--neither of which can he battle until he confronts the truth of what happened one fateful day in the high mountain ranges of the Hindu Kush. 

. . . She alone holds the key to his sanity. 

Mandy Fielding's dream of opening a therapeutic riding center on her family's ranch is almost within her grasp--until she hires Rocco Silas, a dangerous ex-Spec Ops friend of her brother's. His haunted eyes and passionate touch promise a love she never dared believe possible. Can they confront the truth of his past and build a future together or will the enemy stalking him destroy them both?



So Elaine Levine is a new-to-me author, but I decided to try this one out after my friend Deanna raved about the audiobook and narrator (who she may be cyber stalking at this very moment). So I thought I would give it a try today while I had the super fun task of cleaning my house from top to bottom (shudder). So I picked up the book for free on Amazon, then was able to add the narration for only $1.99 (yay!)

The Red Team series is following a group of special ops soldiers home from Afghanistan and who seemed to have brought some of the war home with them. This story focuses on Rocco, who was deep undercover with the Taliban for many years. Now that he is home, he is suffering severe bouts of PTSD. Rocco's story was heartwrenching and caused some ugly crying while I was trying to mop my floors and do laundry and dust. I was happy to see Rocco begin to heal through his relationship with Mandy, and very happy some other things came about which I cannot mention b/c I don't want to give spoilers.

I did feel that sometimes the action/drama/suspense scenes culminated a little fast so it seemed rushed. Oh, there's a bomb on you? No problem, I just diffused it in 2 seconds. Now let's go find a car and have sex. But it only happened once or twice, so it didn't detract much from the story.

Both the story and the narrator kept me entertained while I spent an entire day doing boring chores. It made the day go faster, which is always what I'm looking for in an audiobook. I think I will thoroughly enjoy this series about a group of badass military operatives... all of the men have distinct personalities and I am looking forward to reading about each one. 

View all my reviews

Red Team Series



No comments:

Post a Comment