Sunday, February 22, 2015

Review: Strange Magic (Part One) by Michelle Mankin



Strange Magic: Part One by Michelle Mankin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Sultry Scale: 1 of 5 flames

Series:  The Magic Series
Pub Date:  January 20, 2015
Publisher:  Amazon Digital Services

Billy Blade is a hardworking, hard living, razor sharp musical force. Mysterious behind his dark shades, the rough around the edges Texan mesmerizes with his haunting harmonica and tantalizes with his dangerous looks and smooth country charm. His latest album is topping the charts. He’s the newly crowned King of the Bacchus Krewe. He’s definitely living the rock star dream. 


Exotic Creole beauty Thyme Bellerose couldn’t be more content. She has it all. An adoring grandmother. A handsome Tulane medical student beau. A satisfying job in the heart of New Orleans’ French Quarter. Her life is as rich as the ice cream she creates. She’s got everything under control. 
But control is an illusion. Dreams can turn into nightmares. And now during Mardi Gras, otherworldly powers stand ready to shape their destinies in ways they could never imagine. 
Shadow and light. Magic and mystery. Reality and myth. All come together in a place where rules bend and lines blur. Even those between life and death.


I'm not much into musician romances... but I met Michelle Mankin at the 2015 Nola Author Event. She was super fun and told me a little bit about this book, and I decided to try it. I'm glad I did. This book features a country music singer rather than rocker or pop star. I can get down with a country music singer. And although we didn't see alot of Blade in this first episode, it was enough to peak my curiosity.

This book has all the makings of a great paranormal story, and I love that its set in New Orleans using local places, customs, myths and legends. The idea of using Mardi Gras mythology for a story is unique and fun to follow.

I can't say much more than that about this story at this point, because I've only read this first part of the serial. This is why I don't care for serials - its hard to review an unfinished story - and you have to wait for the next episode to come out. As a avaricious reader, I probably read 20+ books before the next episode is out, so I will have forgotten what happened in the first episode. For this reason, I am going to put this serial on hold until all of the episodes have been released. I will probably have to re-read this episode at that point, so I am looking forward to reading once the whole book is complete.

Note - this episode ends with a cliffhanger.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment