Friday, February 6, 2015

Review: Fighting Destiny (Fae Chronicles #1) by Amelia Hutchins

 
Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles Book 1)
 by Amelia Hutchins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Sultry Scale: 4 of 5 flames

Have you ever heard of the old Celtic legends of the Fae - beautiful, magical, deadly and a love of messing with humans just for kicks and giggles? 
Welcome to my world. 
What started out as a strange assignment, leads to one of the most gruesome murder mysteries of our times and my friends and I are set and determined to find out who is killing off Fae and Witches alike. 


Couple of problems in the way – I hate the Fae and the Prince of the Dark Fae is bound and determined that I work for him. He’s a rude, overbearing egotistical ass with a compulsive need to possess, dominate and control me. Oh – did I mention that he is absolutely sex-on-a-stick gorgeous and he makes me feel things that I never ever wanted to feel for a Fae…every time he touches me or looks at me with those golden eyes seems to pull me further in under his spell, despite my better judgment. My friends and I can’t trust anyone and nothing is as it seems on the surface – not even me. 
I just read this book for the second time. Why?  Because a new book is out in the series and my brain won't remember something I read a year earlier.  So I reread a lot of books if the series is still ongoing.  Maybe now that I have started the blog,  I will remember enough so that I won't need to reread.  Though for series like this one that I really enjoyed, I don't mind it so much.  And I knew I was gonna like this book before I even got to the first chapter?  How, you ask?  By the warning from the author at the beginning of the book:
Warning: This book is not intended for anyone under the age of 18, or anyone who doesn't like lip biting, throw your ass on the bed, tear your clothes off and leave you panting dominant alpha male characters. This is a dark, dangerous, intense, gritty and raw. Scenes are dark, disturbing, and scorching HOT. This book is a soul crushing, tear jerking, and leave you hanging on the edge of your seat fast paced book. Side Effects may include, but are not limited to: Drooling, lip biting, wet panties, crying, and screaming at the author. If any of these things happen, do not seek medical attention—get the next book in the series and enjoy the ride! 
So how did the book differ for me the second time around?  I still loved it.  But I was surprised how much of an ass Ryder was for most of this book.  As Ryder's character developed throughout the series,  you forgot how much of a prick he was in the beginning.  But I really like Syn. I think I sympathize with the male characters more often in a story,  so it's nice to have a female lead that isn't making me roll my eyes and yell that she's TSTL.

Holy moley, there is a lot of sex in this book. I forgot about that too. My book club is gonna think I'm a freak with the two books I picked for the month!  As usual from the fae,  this sex was hot and dirty and kinky. Thank you Amelia Hutchins.  Best quote of the book:  "I'm the kind of dirty that doesn't wash off."  But there were some other good ones too.
Love is more than just feeling something Syn, it's the connection of two souls that intertwine and cannot be without the other. It's not just saying you love someone, it’s showing them with every fucking breath you take, every look. It just is, simple as that. That kind of love doesn't die. It withers the soul without the other to keep it alive.
My book club will be meeting on Feb. 22nd, so I may come back and add in some more thoughts at that point.  It's going to be hard not moving to the 2nd book right away... I really want to but I have other reading obligations at the moment.

Other Books in Series:
2. Taunting Destiny


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment