Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Review: Axel (Corps Security # 1) by Harper Sloan

Axel (Corps Security, #1)Axel (Corps Security # 1) by Harper Sloan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Sultry Scale: 3 of 5 flames

Fate hasn’t always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch.


Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn’t by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.
For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle…her ex-husband.

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door.

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to now. He’s carried his anger for so long he isn’t sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated.

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces?


Holy moly, we have hit the hotness motherload when it comes to Corps Security! This group of guys is reminiscent of the Hot Bunch in Kristen Ashley's Rock Chick series. I absolutely loved these broody hot ex-Marines alpha males. And where can I find one of my own? I swear these books are the reason I'm still single. They give me unrealistic expectations.

As much as I loved the guys, I did not live Isabelle. At first, I felt compassion for her. However she killed that when she treated Greg and Axel badly. And I probably also had the irrational female hatred for her because she had something I wanted, and you know us girls are ruled by our silly emotions. Wink wink.

But anywho, this story reminded me a lot of Dear John, only with a psycho abusive ex-husband instead of one dying from cancer. So while the story wasnt exactly original, it had enough differences and alpha male testosterone to keep me happy. And the author gets extra points for including a playlist at the front of her book. That's always a great feature because I like the simultaneous stimulation of my eyes, ears and brain.

I rate this one 3.5 stars. I would have liked the writing to be a little more detailed. While I prefer stories with alternating POVs, I felt there were just too many short declaratory sentences in this one. But I will definitely keep reading. I predict my favorite boy will be Maddox Locke.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment